The Isle of Jura is seven miles (11 km) wide and 30 miles (48 km) long and it has only one road, one pub and one distillery. The Campbell’s from Jura built the original distillery around 1810. The distillery was rebuilt in 1884 and produced 64,000 gallons per year back then. In the early 1900’s the distillery was dismantled and the buildings became a ruin. The present Jura distillery was built between 1960-63 by two local estate owners Robin Fletcher and Tony Riley-Smith (in partnership with Scottish & Newcastle's blending company Charles Mackinlay & Co.) on the grounds of the old.
The new distillery was producing malt more akin to the Highland style rather than the heavily-peated whisky of its extremely near-neighbour Islay.
The distillery is now owned by Whyte and Mackay, which in turn is owned by Philippines-based Emperador Inc.Show more