Meaning 'the mouth of the chattering burn', in Gaelic, the mountain stream that runs through Aberlour is part of the distillery's story.
James Fleming, the son of a local farmer and supplier of grain to local distilleries built Aberlour Distillery in 1879. His new distillery was not powered by steam, but a waterwheel driven by the Lour.
Fleming produced whisky from 1880 until his death in 1895 and is buried opposite the distillery. Following Fleming's death, the distillery has passed through a number of hands, until in 1975 Pernod-Ricard acquired the then distillery owner, Campbell Distilleries. Pernod-Ricard's merge with Chivas Brothers in 2001, means that Aberlour is now part of a portfolio of 14 single malt distilleries.
In 2002 a modernised visitor centre was opened.Show more