The Knockdhu distillery was built in May of 1893, in the village of Knock in Aberdeenshire.
It was the first malt distillery built for the Distillers Company Ltd. It started production in 1894 and remained in continuous operation until 1931, when it was forced to close for a few years due to the depression. Wartime restrictions on barley forced a second closure from 1940-1945. Knockdhu was closed again in 1983, and subsequently sold to Inver House Distillers. Production resumed in February 1989. In 1994 Inver House rebranded the single malt as anCnoc (meaning 'the hill'), to avoid confusion with neaby Knockando Distillery.Show more