The Ardmore distillery sits at the highest point of the Northern railway line, 600 feet above sea level (in Irish, Ardmore means 'great height.')
Owned by Beam Suntory today, the distillery was originally built in 1898 by Adam Teacher, son of William, to secure fillings for their blend, Teacher's Highland Cream.
Ardmore has four wash stills and four spirit stills with a capacity of 15,000 litres each. Until 2001, these stills were heated with coal rather than hot steam.
Main production from the distillery goes ino the blended whisky industry, although a number of independent bottlings are produced. Distillery out-put reaches a high of 5.2 million litres of spirit per year.Show more