Founded by local man, John Ross in 1790, the Ross family operated the Balblair farm and distillery until late in the 19th Century.
In 1894, Balblair was sold by James Ross to Alexander Cowan, who revolutionised the distillery, building the present offices, still house, kiln and barns. A year later the distillery would be moved half a mile north, to its current location, as a means of making the most of the local railway lines.
Production ceased in 1911 and in 1939 the distillery was commandeered by the army, on the outbreak of World War Two. However in 1948, a solicitor from Banff, Robert Cummings, bought the distillery and a year later production resumed. Cummings would sell Balblair himself in 1970, to Allied Distillers, and is today owned by Inver House Distillers.Show more