Glentauchers distllery was established in 1898 by James Buchanan & Co. to provide fillings for its Buchanan’s and Black & White blends.
The building was designed by John Alcock, and the building was overseen by Charles Doig & Son. It starting producing when James Buchanan Co. Ltd. and three members of Glentauchers Distillery Co. joined hands with Glentachers a year after that. It was mothballed by United Distillers in 1985 and, somewaht surprisingly, sold to rivals Allied Distillers in 1989. Glentauchers' malt whisky is used primarily in blended whiskies, mostly Ballantine's and Teacher's. Less than one per cent is kept back for release as a single malt, and there have been occassional independent bottlings.Show more