Established in 1794, it was built before the town of the same name, which literally sprung up around it.
The distillery was run by brothers John and Hugh Stevenson until 1866, when it was bought by Peter Curnstie. It was then acquired by Walter Higgin in 1883 and rebuilt. In 1898, Alexander Edward, who also owned Aultmore Distillery, bought out Higgin. In 1923, Oban was sold to Dewars andShow more