St. Magdalene was established in the mid 18th century by Sebastian Henderson. During its early life, it was known as "Linlithgow" after the town in which it was built, and was originally located at Bonnytoun. It moved to the St. Magdalene site in 1834, to be close to the Union Canal.
In 1798 the distillery passed to A&J Dawson who went on to run it for over a hundred years before it was acquired by the DCL (Distillers Company Ltd. in 1912.
After St. Magdalene closed in 1983, some of the buildings were converted into apartments. They retained their distinctive pagoda roofs, and are protected as category C listed buildings. There were no official bottlings during its lifetime, though some Rare Malt bottlings were released during the 1990s. Consequently, St Magdalene whisky is extremel sought after by collectors.Show more