In 1892 William J. Grant began work on converting an 18th Century mansion (Balvenie New House) into a working distillery. On May 1st 1893 the first distillation took place in at the Balvenie Distillery.
The distillery is still in the hands of the William Grant and Sons Limited.
The original stills were from the Lagavulin distillery, however with the growing popularity of Balvenie whisky the distillery increased from two stills to four. In 1971 the whole distillery was renovated and the number of stills increased again to nine stills.
The Balvenie Distillery is open to the public, with small-group tours offered.Show more