Built in 1958, Tormore was one of the first new distilleries to appear during the post-World War II Scotch boom. The beauty and uniqueness of its architectural design were recognized in 1986 when the distillery was granted listed building status, despite being less than 30 years old. Tormore Distillery was designed by the renowned architect, Sir Albert Richardson one of the leading architects of his time in Britain known for his architectural style combining neoclassicism with modernism.
This style is apparent in the design of the Tormore Distillery where the traditional stone balconies and the copper roof, which has gradually weathered to a deep green colour, sit alongside clean, sharp edges and minimalist gardens. The distillery also houses some architectural quirks, in particular a clock that plays four different Scottish songs every quarter of an hour.
The impressive grounds of the Tormore Distillery are located in the heart of Speyside, on the edge of the Cairngorms National Park, home to some of Britain's highest mountains, and it is these mountains that give Tormore its name, from the Gaelic Torra Mhòir, meaning 'the big hill'.Show more