Benriach master blender Rachel Barrie and some of the new expressions.
Benriach has built a reputation on a long-standing tradition of distilling classic, peated and triple distilled whisky. Using the distillery’s vast eclectic cask inventory sourced from across the globe, the new single malt portfolio has been crafted by master blender, Dr. Rachel Barrie and her team.
The Speyside distillery has unveiled its new and distinctive flavour-forward portfolio which showcases the versatility of its orchard fruit-laden style, as well as featuring a new look that is inspired by the creative past of Benriach.
A closer look at the new packaging shows the inspiration taken from the first Benriach single malt, released more than two decades ago, with a colour palette taken from Speyside’s natural environment.
Dr Rachel Barrie said: “The new range perfectly marries tradition and innovation that is central to Benriach’s story. Inspired by the 1994 bottling of the Original Ten, with its fruit-laden complexity and smooth, rounded taste, the new range re-imagines the 1898 origins of Benriach, brought to life in the 21st century through fusing distilling styles with extraordinary casks.
“In the new Original Ten, a more richly flavoured, rounded malt character might be discerned, whilst The Twelve balances richly sherried malt with added layers of fruit complexity, reaching a pinnacle at twelve years old. The new Smoky Ten and Smoky Twelve explore the sweet smokiness of Benriach, enriched through innovative combinations of rum, virgin oak and marsala casks interwoven with more traditional bourbon and sherry.
“The new Benriach range is for those open to new possibilities, building on a wealth of experience and tradition. I invite the drinker to join me on this creative journey, as we explore the rich rewards of single malt whisky.”
In addition to Benriach The Original Ten, the core range will feature a new recipe for Benriach’s richly sherried 12-year-old whisky, including port and Bourbon casks interwoven for seamless smooth complexity.
The new Benriach range will become available in global markets gradually from September 2020, with three expressions reserved exclusively for travel retail.The New Expressions
- The Original Ten: Matured in sherry, ex Bourbon & virgin oak casks. Hint of smoke. 43% ABV.
- The Smoky Ten: Matured in ex Bourbon, virgin oak, and ex Jamaican rum casks. Well peated. 46% ABV.
- The Ten Triple Distilled: Matured in ex Bourbon, PX sherry, and virgin oak casks. Unpeated. 46% ABV. Travel-retail exclusive.
- Quarter Cask: Matured in ex Bourbon and then quarter casks. Unpeated. 46% ABV. Travel-retail exclusive.
- The Smoky Quarter Cask: Matured in ex Bourbon and then quarter casks. Well peated. 46% ABV. Travel-retail exclusive.
- The Twelve: Matured in sherry, ex Bourbon and port casks. Unpeated. 46% ABV.
- The Smoky Twelve: Matured in sherry, ex Bourbon and Marsala casks. Well peated. 46% ABV.
- The Twenty One: Matured in ex Bourbon, sherry, virgin oak, and red wine casks. Some smoke. 46% ABV.
- The Twenty Five: Matured in sherry, ex Bourbon, Madeira, and virgin oak casks. Some smoke. 46% ABV.
- The Thirty: Matured in sherry, ex Bourbon, virgin oak and port casks. 100% peated spirit, tempered by age. 46% ABV.
The new range from Benriach.